This photo of the Riverside Hotel in Bannockburn, Georgia, was identified as “Bannockbur Hotel—Phinnie” written in three separate lines. The Hotel was probably built sometime around 1905 when the Massey Felton Lumber Company operated a sawmill on the west side of the Alapaha River, one mile east of Bannockburn. William K. Sikes and his brother Franklin went to work for the lumber company about 1908, and when the sawmill closed about 1910, they purchased the whole lot of 480 acres, including the hotel.
Sometime shortly before 1935 the top floor of the hotel was removed, and the structure became one story with a small attic room. The Sikes children were reared in this structure throughout most of the childhood years. Photo courtesy of Elmer Keefe and William Outlaw.