J. H. Harvey Cash Store, circa early 1930's
Cutline from Berrien Press, date unknown:
Down Memory Lane with Berrien Press
Merchandising was quite different back in the early 1930's when the J. H. Harvey Cash Store was on the corner of S. Davis St. and W. Washington Ave. Customers would come in with their list of groceries and the clerks would give individualized, personalized service to each one. Behind the sign "5¢ Dozen" for oranges are clerks, left to right: Ernest Bennett, H. E. Whaley, unidentified, J. Howell Giddens, June Avera, W. E. Lester and R. C. Lester. Harvey's moved to the E. Marion Ave. location about 1934, to the present location in April 1964 and expanded a few months ago.